Adding a Facebook feed of recent posts to another web site, turned out to be much more complicated than anticipated. Facebook have their own Activity Feed, but I couldn’t get it to work, and nor did I understand some of the options like App ID and Action. Here’s my solution…
I tried a number of RSS Widgets, which are supposed to take an RSS feed, and convert it into an embedded box. The problem was that several of them found the Facebook RSS feed to be invalid, or could not handle their secure server. In the end Google’s Feedburner server solved the problem.
- First, go to your Facebook web page. The Web address should look something like this:
Note: This will not work on a profile page whose web address begins:
You can create a Web page by clicking the “Create a Page” link at the bottom of the page. But it is quite possible that Facebook may redesign their site layout, and the link may be moved, or renamed, in which case, go to Facebook Help at www.facebook.com/help and search for: how to create a page, and follow the instructions there
- The long number at the end of the page web address is the page ID. Copy this to create your Facebook page RSS feed ID, which looks like this:
- Go to Google Feedburner
- Below “Burn a feed right this instant”, enter into the box, the web address for the Facebook RSS field (created in Step 2 above), and click Next.
- Edit the Feed Title and Feed Address, and click Next
- On the Congrats screen, at the bottom of the screen, click the link “Skip directly to feed management”
- Use the tabs to edit your feed details
- To create a Web page widget, click the Publicize tab, and select BuzzBoost. Then edit the details, click the Activate button, and follow the instruction to copy and paste the generate HTML code