Corel Paintshop Pro X3 doesn’t make it easy to create images with rounded corners, and transparent background. Many methods are slow and laborious. After some playing around, I think I’ve a way to nearly automate the process which after setting up, is two step:
- Create a raster rectangle with rounded corners, and make it a selection
- Copy your required image, and paste it into the selection
I’m going to create an image that is 256 x 256 pixels, with a rounded corner of 20 pixels, as a PNG with a transparent background. Once you are familiar with the steps, it takes under 60 seconds to make the basic template, and then seconds to paste an image into it.
Create a raster rectangle with rounded corners
- Go to File | New, and create a new image bigger than the one we want, for example width=400 height=400 pixels, with a raster (bitmap) background, and a light gray background colour (this will make it easier to see what we are doing in the next step.
- Click the Rectangle too, ensure that Create On Vector is selected, choose white background and foreground colours, and draw a rectangle on your gray background.
- Right-click on the rectangle, and choose Edit mode.
- Enter your Horizontal and Vertical radius for the corners, ie. 20 pixels each, and then the required width and height, ie. 256 pixels, and click the Apply tick mark.
- Make sure you can see the gray background surrounding your white rectangle. If not, select the Pick tool, and move the rectangle so you can.
- Click the Magic wand selection tool, make sure that its selection mode is “RGB Value”, the tolerance is low (ie. 0) and feathering is 0.
- Click anywhere in the white rectangle. The selection mask should match the outline of the rounded rectangle exactly.
- Go to Edit and select Copy, then Edit and Paste as New Image.
- Again using the Magic wand, click in the new image to make the rounded rectangle a rounded corner selection.
- You now have the required new image, 256 x 256 pixels in size, with rounded corners of radius 20 pixels, and a transparent background.
- If you wish, you could save this image in Paintshop format
To make an image with rounded corners
- Your image should be approximately square
- Select it and copy it
- Select the rounded corner template image, go to the Edit menu, and choose Paste into Selection. Since the selection has rounded corners, so will the resulting image.
- Select File | Export | PNG optimizer, choose whether you want Palette-Based or 16.7-million (check the Preview), and on the Transparency tab, select Single Color Transparency and Existing Image or Layer Transparency.
To make subsequent images with rounded corners
- Go to edit and click Undo, to remove the image that was last pasted into the rounded corner template.
- Repeat the copy and paste process described above, to create a new image.